Sunday 16 October 2011

Mother, Wife, Student.....Cougar??!!


As the days of my life roll into years, I inevitably am acquiring a repertoire of hats, an assortment to fit every major roll in my life.  The mother hat; imagine the ever useful Dr Seus red and white striped number, a hat that a 'mum' can pull things out of like dinner for the family in five minutes, entertainment for a toddler, the remote control, toilet training, you know, just the general few juggling requirements. Then there is the hat of a wife; it's somewhat more a fascinator than a hat really.  Elegant, understanding, compassionate and comfortable, simply able to go with anything at anytime.  Ah, but now the student hat...a cap that keeps me looking 'young' enough to blend into the crowd, but says logical; sun protection and a hair 'cover' as I don't have time for self grooming with everything else going on in my life!


But NEVER in my wildest dreams would I believe someone could think I wear the hat of a 'cougar'!!  It's the only logical reason I can conjure for why a young man of his early 20's would even consider attempting chat up lines on this old broad!  But, how enlightening, enriching and titillating the experience all the same.  So last week I was fitting into my endearingly favourite jeans, but this week I'm being advanced upon by the youth of today.  If ever there was validation that my hard work is paying off, I guess this is it!!

Only minutes after completing my ever favourite Zumba class, my sweaty blushed cheeks and I were patiently waiting at gym reception for a staff member.  I had noticed the young herd of wanna be stallions meandering close by, but really didn't give them any notice.  However, that was until one of them, with a little canter and shake of his main, clip clopped over to strike up a conversation with me.  Now with a closer look I could see these were not stallions but merely a herd of Shetland Pony's.  "I'm sorry, are you confusing me with your Aunt?" is all I wanted to answer.  I was confused and maybe a little embarrassed at his advances, I mean, it's been a long time for me. So much water has passed under the bridge.  Surely he could see I was not of the decade that would graze in his paddock.

What was amazingly surprising though, was how fast and automatic my body language leaped into gear, I mean, it's been locked away in storage for some time now.  Instinctively and subconsciously,  I had twisted the wrist of my left hand in an attempt to flash and bedazzle him with my bling.  Make him aware that I was a married woman.  Now if only I could have had him see the 2 baby seats in the back of my ever faithful family wagon.

But all this aside, thank you little pony for one hell of a ride down memory lane.
It made my night, day, week, year.





No comments:

Post a Comment